Not just regular out of the plastic bear honey. I’m talking the good stuff. Liquid gold. Unpasteurized, and unrefined RAW HONEY. You might have to dig a little deeper than your big box grocer to find this gem of deliciousness and health, but it is worth it. More than just a sweetener, honey has loads of uses out of your favorite coffee or tea cup. Try these out and let me know how you use honey in your home!
1. Stock your pantry. – Raw honey has such a high (natural) sugar content and natural enzymes leading to a long, some say indefinite shelf life. Perfect to keep in your pantry, cupboards, counter tops for life!
2. Sooth a sore throat and ease your cough. – Raw honey is well known for being the perfect cold remedy. A blend of raw honey and fresh lemon juice can be taken as needed to treat a sore throat or cough.
3. Boost your athletic performance. – Hot pink “energy gel”? No thank you. Tons of additives and artificial coloring. A spoonful of raw honey before your run, hike, bike, space flight can can provide an energy boost plus a variety of important nutrients.
4. Treat minor cuts, scrapes and burns. – Raw honey is an ancient remedy for cuts, scrapes and burns due to its natural antibacterial properties. Simply clean the area, dab on a small amount of raw honey, and wrap as normal. Change wrapping at least once daily until the area is healed. The honey may also help to reduce scar formation.
5. Make a simple sugar scrub. – Soften your skin by exfoliating with a mixture of raw honey, sugar and sweet almond oil. Store the mixture in a glass jar and use as needed. You’ll save a fortune if you exfoliate with this instead of using those expensive department store scrubs.
6. Use as a glossing treatment for hair. – Coat your hair with raw honey and let it sit for ten minutes before washing as usual. Honey works as a clarifying and conditioning treatment, making your locks shiny and smooth.
7. Improve your sleep. – A spoonful of honey before bed (by itself or in a cup of warm herbal tea) is a natural sleep remedy that can help you relax and fall asleep faster.
8. Enjoy a honey facial. – Massage a teaspoon of raw honey into your face and let it sit for 10-30 minutes before rinsing with cool water. This simple honey mask can smooth your skin, fight wrinkles, improve skin tone, reduce redness, and help with blemishes.